The Romans laid the foundations of their empire around the predominance of the cities and focus of power. The life in the Roman metropolis demanded to take a wide range of health measures. The sewers went round inside these cities and under the pavement of their streets and roads, which enabled the removal of sewage waters towards the rivers , in our case, towards the rivers Jerga and Tuerto.
The first findings of old sewers take place in the sixties of the nineteenth century, although the systematic explorations of José María Luengo in 1946 gave rise to the discovery of the branch corresponding to the Garden of the Synagogue. Its design allows us to make an idea of the town planning of Asturica Augusta , which reflects its regular and orthogonal shape with wide streets.
It seems that initially lintelled channels were built, with limited capacity, but due to the city's growth in the second half of the first century, it was necessary to develop a second network for higher flow rates. Around the year 80 AD, vaulted galleries were erected, with heights up to 1.80 metres sometimes with side platforms for crossing. Its building technique uses masonry walls, which were complemented by and a stone barrel vault arranged as a rough voussoir bound with mortar. Its floor was usually of slate.